Horseback Riding

I am going horseback riding, and I am so excited. We are going for my birthday!

My favorite kind of horse is a white foal. I am pretty good at horseback riding. I have done it seven times before. I went to Tucson, Arizona, and I went to a ranch where they had a snack bell, a  breakfast bell, a dinner bell, and a lunch bell. Once we did a breakfast ride. It is when you ride to a table with food and eat then ride back. I had so much fun!

What kind of horses do you like?

What mass do you think a light horse is?

7 Comments

1. Dear Peppermint Dolphin,

Wow! Going horseback riding seems really fun! Do you always go riding for your birthday?

Anyway, you asked a question so I’m going to try to answer it. I think that a small horse would weigh about 3 times as much as an adult, so about 410-450 pounds.

What was your horse’s name when you went riding for your birthday this year?

Your blogging buddy,
    Pineapple Palooza

• I love horseback riding! When I was a kid, I had horseback riding lessons every Saturday morning for quite a long time. As an adult, my favorite vacation was a horseback safari I took in Kenya, where I got to ride out on the steppes with all the wild animals (we tried to avoid the lions of course :)).

On that trip I had a very funny experience. Camels are not indigenous to that part of Africa but were being introduced to the area by local farmers. On our ride, we encountered some of these newly introduced camels browsing in the trees in the forest we were riding through at the time (the farmer was with them). Our horses had never seen camels before. As we approached the camels, the horses stopped dead in their tracks, turned right around, and ran as fast as they could away from the camels! They were so scared it was very hard to rein them in. The camels on the other hand did not pay any attention to the horses.

2. I love horses too! When I was a girl, I went to a girl scout camp where I went horseback riding every day. I think it was called Camp Lakota. I don’t quite remember the name of my horse, but I think it was brown.

3. How wonderful to have had the opportunity to ride horsed so often! I loved it when I was young!! I was a young teenager in of all places, Benghazi, Libya, in North Africa. Once I rode a horse (his name was Bidgley)which had not been ridden for a long while cause he’d been ill. He always liked to be in front, and when we were out in the fields, and he heard another horse behind, he just took off with me. I tried everything to make him slow down or stop. I pulled the reigns way to the right and then the left, hard. He kept going faster and faster, and I guess because horses have eyes on either side of their head, they can see even if running with their head sideways. At one point I even thought of sliding off of him onto the ground because he was trained to stop when he did not have a rider. No one could ride behind me faster and come rescue me, because he ran even faster. Then lo and behold! One of the groomsmen came from the opposite direction – he came upon us rode next to me, and grabbed the reins and the two horses ran side by side, with the groomsman leaning way over and riding between the two horses. He slowed his horse down which slowed Bidgley down. I felt like a “damsel in distress” being saved by the hero.

4. That sounds so fun! I want my kids, Fiona and Amelie to consider horseback riding when we go for a trip this spring.

5. It’s the funniest thing. I grew up in Kentucky, where they have the Derby every year – the most famous horse race in sports, with a month of festivities – and I’ve never been on a horse! I think they’re beautiful, though. When I was in the seventh grade, my dad used to get tickets through his job to Churchill Downs, the racetrack in Louisville where they run the Derby, and we’d go one Sunday a year. My favorite part was watching the jockeys get on the horses before the race. You could walk down to the paddock and see the horses up close, and get a sense of their personalities.

That’s so cool that you get to ride horses! Thanks for sharing this story with us.

6. And here is one more story about my horseback riding experiences. We were learning to jump over hurdles. My horse jumped and I fell off to the ground. Thankfully I did not get hurt. I didn’t want to get back on the horse because I was scared, but the instructor made me get back up and ride and try the hurdle again. The second time I made it and I was no longer scared.
    By the way, the stables were run by the British in Benghazi. We rode “English saddle”, and wore English riding helmets. The saddles are tiny compared to the Western Saddle which is probably what you are used to. You may have seen the helmets we wore,if you’ve seen a game of polo on horses. However, our helmets were black and covered with velvet.
    By the way, when the horses were trotting, we had to “post” otherwise we would be bouncing bouncing on the horse. When you have time, look up “English saddle”, “polo sport” and “post trot” on the internet and you will understand better what I wrote about above.